Favorite Quotes

Therefore do no worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. – Matthew 6:34

Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. - Jane Austen

If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. -Mary Engelbreit

Monday, September 22, 2014

A Yarny Week

This past week I visited a yarn store hoping to get some guidance on what to do pre-yarn my husband brought back from his most recent deployment. They had never seen it before and suggested I google projects that used "pencil roving". I love the colors but I'm afraid since it is so delicate that anything I make may fall apart. I'm considering making a pillow that will be purely decorative.

If a reader has used a similar product, let me know!
If a reader has used a similar product, let me know!
To date I have seventeen rows of my first join as you go granny square blanket completed. The person I'm making it for is taller than my husband so I plan on adding about two more rows. I go back and forth whether or not I want to crochet a border. I think the edges will look unfinished if I don't. I've been googling  granny square blankets to see how others have done it and have yet to reach a decision. A factor in the decision is that I don't want to have to buy anymore yarn for this project. Originally I did not intend to buy any additional yarn to dwindle down my stash. About half way through I ran out of enough colors that I wouldn't have been able to keep the color balanced, hence a couple trips to Michael's. If a reader has a suggestion on how they have finished their work, I'm all ears.

My husband helping me model the length. He's 6'1''. 
This week I whipped up a quick baby blanket. I had a lot of time on my hands Thursday, waiting at a hospital for a family member's surgery (it was planned and he's ok; thank you for asking). I brought along three colors and crocheted all three strands at the same time. I learned about this technique in 2012 after making a few blanket for a pregnant family member. Here is the link if you are interested.  It grows quickly and turns out to be quite chunky. I'd say it took me 5-6 hours to finish.

I made one large granny square and bordered it with a row of doubles. 
I used a N- 9.00mm hook. 
I don't have a child so sometimes I'm uncertain when making blankets for my pregnant friends. This blanket is heavy for its size, is fairly thick, and obviously has a lot of large holes. I'm thinking it might be best as a ground covering? According to the family member I made for in 2012, the blankets I made then turned out well for her three boys. At that time I was having a lot of fun with an entrelac technique.
Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Blast from the past

No comments:

Post a Comment